View Single Post
Old 08-01-14, 10:47 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Ride in yesterday was pretty uneventful, except for dogs trying to chase me a couple times on both the ride in and ride home. On the ride in it's this one house with a couple little dogs that they let roam free around the front yard. 2-lane rural road. I swear one of these days I'm going to stop and yell for the owners to come get their damn dogs because one day they're either going to get run over by a car passing me, or maybe got shot (which would be a total bluff). On the way home it was a different house, and the dog looked like a damn pit bull. F-in idiot dog owners I swear.

THENNNN the big event. My first flat on my bike while out riding (had a trailer flat a few weeks back which was my first flat while out riding ever). Happened on my rear Conti GP 4 Seasons tire. Why the rear picked up whatever debris it was, but the front did not, I have no idea. It was a weird feeling having the rear tire flat, didn't know what it was at first. I was doing nearly 20 MPH when it happened.

I was only 1 mile from home when it happened, in the city park. We had to take my son to his preschool's open house that evening, and I was hoping to make it home in time to take him in the bike trailer. The flat made that impossible, unfortunately. But since I was only a mile from home and had to get on home so we could go, I just hoisted the bike up on my shoulder and hiked the last bit, taking shortcuts through some grassy fields to get back to the house. I didn't want to roll the bike for fear of damaging the flat tire. I'm just glad I left the trunk bag at work as that adds a good 5 pounds to the rear of the bike when it's empty of stuff except for my U-lock.

I never could find what caused the puncture. Found a tiny hole in the tube which I patched, but looking inside and outside the tire in that same spot, I found nothing. It wasn't 2 holes side by side so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a pinch flat. I run about 90/100 PSI front/rear on my 25C tires and have never had a problem in over 2,000 miles, even when the trunk bag is loaded up, so who knows.

Are you in the city? I always get the address and call animal control. Not sure if it applies to the country also, the sheriff might help out there. Had a lab chase me for 3 days and I called the animal control, he disappeared. That's the 2nd one I've called on. I have no hesitation in calling.