Old 08-02-14, 06:03 PM
ElStellino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
The Amuat hubs are a Spanish brand which tends to fit in with an Orbea product.

That upper headset stack appears as if it has been kluged together from bits.
Thanks juvela,
What do you mean for the headset stack? The two nuts and the washer? There was no washer but I had it on a mountain bike I was using for work, so I just took it off and put it there. That's the only bit that is not belonging to the headset. I just put it because it was coming loose too easily and when I saw that the garbage MTB had the washer and the racer not, I just took it off from one, and put it on the other.

On a side note I wanted to update this thread, I was just waiting to have the bike up and running again.
I actually had problems with work, now it's quite a calm moment instead but I have no money, hence the project steel racer is momentarily stalled.

What happened afterwards:
  • The front Simplex plastic dérailleur crumbled. Strange.
  • I got off ebay.co.uk a very cheap but really nice chrome finish Shimano dérailleur, so I fitted it.
  • Coming back uphill after a week the rear Simplex plastic dérailleur crumbled as well. Strange.
  • As I needed the bicycle for going to work the next day, I chopped the chain and made it single speed, good to go downhill and on flat road, no way it could be used to come back home. So I was coming back by bus with the bicycle in the trunk. 14 minutes to go, 50 minutes to come back.
  • In any case, after another week or two the rear hub cracked in half... not the alloy part where the spokes are attached to, the inner core spindle thing with the skewer passing through it.
  • At this point I really had to stop the bicycle...

The problem is that here it's very difficult to get the parts that one wants, and at a suitable price too. I wish I was back in UK sometimes, just for this. In any case I worked in that place for another month, then I started working from home: the income has diminished, and I don't need a bicycle, it's now just a leisure item.

BUT
One day I went to the local car tyre place, and I saw in a pile of car related stuff 2 bicycle wheels. dusty, with old tyres, but hey, they looked straight with their QR skewers, rear freewheel etc.. I go closer, I take a look at the hub...

!!!
Do you recognise it?
In any case I play cool and ask if I can get them, because my rear hub is broken and I say my front wheel is not true. The guy said to pass in a week because who put them there was not at work, and so I did. The guy was not there anyway, but they called him and he said to give them to me. FOR FREE. I brought back a bottle of cold beer for the guy I interacted with, and off I went with my new-to-me old wheel set.
You didn't guess what it is?
Let me wash the muck off for you:

It seriously made my day. Nobody ever gives me something for free, imagine a Campagnolo wheel set.
I washed it off marking the bathtub for the joy of my wife, and it all came spotless. Just the rings where the nipples go are a bit rusty, but I will see what to do.
Here a few more pictures.

So now I will need to thread the hole for a real metal rear dérailleur on the DO, as the Simplex system uses a bolt+nut, and I read on the net that it's possible to do it.
I actually don't know if I want to use a shorter gear ratio, as here it is very hilly (I live on a small volcanic island after all, and the tip of the volcano is just 3,700 and odd metres.... So I have to check well first because I will start with the dérailleur if I want to put citybike or MTB gears. But probably it's just a stoopeed idea and I will just end up putting a standard road dérailleur.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P3021673_zpsc866bcad.jpg (33.6 KB, 128 views)
P3021669_zps95ef62a1.jpg (30.5 KB, 132 views)
P3021665_zpscd2d9202.jpg (73.4 KB, 126 views)
P3021666_zpsa5a69ad5.jpg (65.7 KB, 123 views)
P3021668_zps56f7df75.jpg (22.7 KB, 118 views)
P3021670_zpsd2c51aa1.jpg (41.3 KB, 121 views)
P3021672_zps2f32131e.jpg (37.1 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by ElStellino; 08-02-14 at 06:08 PM. Reason: a mistake.