Old 08-03-14, 06:37 AM
thugpipe

Bikes: 2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2016 Respect Mini Velo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimboach
That's pretty great advice and along the lines of what I was thinking. I wasn't sure if I could even change the IGH sprocket but that's an entirely new idea I haven't considered but I'm 90% sure that's not going to achieve what she is looking for. I have also accepted that the plastic chain guard will have to go which isn't a problem at all. I think the thing is downright cheap looking and would prefer a common guard on the chainring itself. Tern Bikes has a chain protector that goes over a non derailleur chain as well, that I might consider. Regardless, losing that plastic piece of junk is not an issue.

Oh and that picture is pretty much my gf's bike except she has the all baltic blue one. I believe the above is the 7 speed. Her bike has been discontinued but the seem to be almost identical. Again, thanks for the advice and I think i'm going to start with the crankset with the biggest difference since most her gears are useless.
Actually the bigest difference would be made by the small sprocket on the hub, with the smallest impact on your setup, small wheeler was spot on. Reducing the rear cog by one tooth is like adding 3 teeth to the front. Best bang for your buck really, although it is a nice mod to have a real set of cranks the smaller the front chainring the better, in general.