View Single Post
Old 02-04-03, 07:31 PM
outiv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all, Thankyou very much for your input.

Well, If you want to hear the ordeal I had with this particular bike shop (I live in australia by the way, and we spell tire "tyre" half of the time... not sure which is really the right way round, our Queen is in britian...) Her goes my story.

Bear with it, it could be entertaining...

Anyways, I gave them a phone call, asking to speak with the manager, he was not in but fortuanetly, the workshop manager was. I told him that I've brought the bike back after a service where I found a few things wrong with it and how the staff treated me. He apologized and told me to bring the bike back in where he would resolve the issue.

So on my 1 hour journey I went (It's quite far from where I live).

By the way, Louis said "I would change the tire around myself, then change bike shops.", which is what I would have done if I knew how...

Anyway, when I got there, I told them them that I was missing the brake adjustment screw after had my bike serviced there and also the valve cap and that the rear treads were put on the wrong way. I got the valve cap immediately. Then I waited a while for my treads to be changed around in their "workshop". When it came back out (it was a junior mechanic who did the work i presume, about 16 years of age) I was shocked to see that he had changed the front wheels around. So now, I had a bike with both treads facing the wrong direction. I told him that in which he's response was "it doesn't really matter, how fast are you going to go on it anyways?".
I will start in story form to make it easier to follow through now...

I said "How fast I go isn't the issue here, I want the treads facing the right way..."

"But that's how they come out of the box", he replied

"I don't care how they come out, I brought my bike in with properly fitted treads for service, and I get it back with improperly fitted treads, I want them back the right way"

"I'm telling you, it doesn't matter", he persisted.

I turned towards the nearest person, which was a customer, but knew a reasonable amount about bikes.
"Exscuse me sir, would you happen to know if these treads are facing the right way?"
He examined them and after a short moment, he replied "No, they're both the wrong way round, look at the directional arrows"

The workshop manager then approached, "is anything the problem?" he asked.

The educated customer spoke immediately, and on my behalf without my request, though this was fine by me.
"This lad here has his tyres fitted the wrong way round"

"Let me take a look" says the workshop manager. "You're right, they are... Who did this?". He turned towards the young mechanic.

"But they come out of the box like that" The boy said in protest.

"It doesn't matter, the customer wants it the right way round and it's always up to the customer", says the workshop manager.

So back into the workshop the boy went, with a not so happy expression on his face. About 10 minutes later, he emerged with the tyres put round the right way. I went over the bike once again, and this time noticed a huge, silver bolt jammed into one of the brake centering screw that was missing earlier. I took it to the workshop manager who wasn't even phased by this, which isn't what I expected. He ordered anpther mechanic, not much older than the first (I'd say maybe 17-18, hereafter known as mechanic#2) to find a replacement that matched the other.

"Get one that looks exactlay like the other" said the manager

"but what if there's none?" asked mechanic#2

"Then find one" replied the manager.

So off into the workshop mechanic#2 went. He showed up after about 5 minutes, which is quite a long time to wait believe you me. I took a look at the screw, and again, it wasn't the right one. Although it was black this time (the same colour as the rest), it was way too large, and didn't even have that counter-screw thingy (it's like a washer but hexagonal and is the thing that actually allows the screw to be....screwed).

"It's not the right one", I told him. (I might seem a bit fussy to some of you, but at this point, I am actually very fed up, I would have setteled for this if they had friendlier service, but the way I was treated up to this point really annoyed me.) "It doesn't even have that counter screw thing" I added, pointing to what I was referring to on one of the properly set up screws. (notice how I used the word counter-screw, which I made up on the spot, and highly doubt that it was the correct termininolgy).

"The screw probably came out missing from the box when you first got it", said mechanic#2 in a less-than-friendly tone.

"Look", I began. "I brought the bike in for service with all the screws in place, when I got it back, one was missing, it didn't 'come out of the box like that'!". My tone was also less-than-friendly, and trust me, it was called for.

So back into the workshop mechanic#2 went and this time, a whopping 30minutes passed before he reappered. That amount of time is unacceptable for a customer in my position to wait. But finally, the correct screw had been given to me, and all was weel from what I could tell.

That was my ordeal. Do you want to know how you can tell if a bike shop has bad customer service?? I shall tell you. If you ride home after having your bike serviced, with a whole lot of doubt in your mind about the stability of the bike (god knows what those mechanics did to it to spite me...), then that's bad customer service.

I now hear this wierd creaking noise when riding my bike around, which I am sure is eminating from the rear wheels near the gears. I took the rear wheel of and found that the noise is coming from the wheel itself when I rotate it without being attached to the gears. I'm not taking it back there thats for sure. I think I'll pay anotehr mechanic to take a look at it. Hopefully, the service will be better.

Thanks for reading! Bye everyone, and glad to be part of this comunity.