Old 08-05-14, 03:53 PM
dicktill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
WOW, thanks for all the posts and opinions; sounds like I opened up a bit of a firestorm! OH, and before I get into a long-winded post, let me share some good news: FedEx now says delivery is scheduled for tomorrow rather than next Monday. Was wondering why it would take a whole week to get from outside Chicago to "outside Buffalo" (way outside, but the nearest big place).

Originally Posted by Essthreetee
Nice looking bike. Could you take it with you to try out for the time you are away?
Wish I could, but it would have to ride outside of the camper strapped to the roof ladder, and would get all scratched up (apparently, the paint doesn't stick as well on top of the all-over-chrome as it might to bare, primed steel - someone mentioned in another Voyageur thread, that even the clamps on a bike stand could peal it off). I'd be worried about theft/vandalism too. We just have a "Class B" camper, a converted Chevy Express van [RoadTrek], and the only bike that I have that will fit inside is the Montague Navigator folding bike. It's a boat, but at least it has 700c wheels & tires. Would love to bring the Airborne, but ...

Originally Posted by Metacortex
The crank arms/chainrings 130mm BCD. The bottom bracket is a standard 68mm with English 1.37" x 24T threads and the original spindle is 112mm asymmetric: 1973 Shimano Dura-Ace Catalogue Page da6
Thanks; good info.

Originally Posted by Bikedued
Worst idea ever. Sorry just my strong personal opinion. Leave it how it is, or sell it and buy something else. I also would not even test ride it half a block unless all of the bearings have been cleaned and re-lubed.,,,,BD

I didn't mean to sound harsh. Just meant that you should "embrace the vintage", rather than trying to to make it into a modern bike. I've been guilty of that a couple of times,and while the bike does ride better, it loses the feel of what you buy a vintage bike for in the first place. Also things you didn't count on start coming into play. Like the cage of the FD being so narrow that the chain starts rubbing under hard acceleration, from frame flex. I had that happen on my 9speed Super Le Tour project.
OK, thanks, and noted. But I'm a weenie, and the chances of my flexing the frame are "slim & none". : )

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I was going to guess 130BCD. I used a TA triplizer on a early '90s Shimano 105 crankset to lower the gearing on my '83 Paramount. Works really well.

XXCycle in France is selling a Stronglight version at this time for about $28, which is a super deal! It also comes in 38T, 40T, 42T, 44T and 46T versions. I've had great success ordering from them with arrival in 10 days or less.

Here's the TA version for a significant increase in price to about $66. I can vouch that the TA version is very well made.
Thanks. More good info, and nice bike Padre.

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Since you asked for opinions- I'm assuming you actually really want the opinion.... I pretty much agree with Bikedued.

The World Voyageur is not... what's the word I'm looking for... ..."lithe." It's a straight gauge cromoly bike. It's robust. It's a tank. It's made from the best quality gaspipe. But it's going to have an excellent ride.

I don't know what your experience is with bikes- but I'd recommend taking a little more time to learn about your bike and figure out what your bike does like it is. It's a REALLY cool bike, both as a bike and historically. It looks like you've scored an EXCELLENT example of a nearly stock 40 year old bike- an excellent collectable bike to be proud of; ride it for a while and figure out why these bikes have the great reputation they have.

If you love the bike, you love the aesthetic of it, but you really need the shifting changed- go for it. (you'll probably need something with a longer reach than the Ultegra brakes).

If the World Voyageur is not your thing- keep looking for something that is your thing. Something that might just look nice with a 9s Ultegra group on it.

My guess- from what I gather from your excitement and enthusiasm in your posts, I think the World Voyageur is going to be a bit too stout for you. A bit more... 1970s-y than what you're after. To echo my opinion from the other thread- one of the mid 80s "flagship" level touring bikes really sound like your best match. A Reynolds or Columbus (or proprietary) double or triple butted frame- something with the "built- ready to ride" weight around 25 pounds... components that are much closer to "modern." There was a window where "Touring" bikes were a prime consideration in the bicycle lineup and the design and technology were actually a focus for bike companies. Somewhere in that 1984-1986 time frame. Bikes with long chainstays, class A tubing, well thought out geometries, all the braze ons you can think of, Class A componentry, and a real graceful, elegant style, but still looking like "business."

There's always going to be some sort of consideration when putting new components on an old bike- for old touring bikes- it's going to be 27" wheels and canti brakes that'll adjust well enough and 1" headsets.

I've had thoughts about replacing the drivetrain on my 1985 Trek 720- while I'm realistically pretty close to going to Suntour Command shifters on there, I've actually thought about a 6600 triple Ultegra group for that bike. I don't know that I'd do that to my 1978 Trek 730 frame.

It is your bike to do with as you wish- you asked for opinion; I don't know you at all, but I'd love to see you happy on an old, classically styled bike.
Originally Posted by wrk101
At 27.5 to 28 pounds, not far off from most of the 1980s nice touring bikes. Many of them were around 27 pounds. The 1980s touring bikes will give you better gearing, all triples, some half step with a granny. Could probably sell that WV and upgrade if that is your desire.

Even non-Vintage touring bikes are pretty nice. The Trek 520 and the Novara Randonee to mention just two. I have seen and bought versions of both of these at reasonable prices, much less than it would cost to upgrade the WV.

But with the WV, you have something unique. Single year production, Panasonic producing their best for Schwinn, lots of top of the line, juicy parts.
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Its not a piece of crap by any means but Panasonic's best effort in 1973 is nowhere near the quality they were putting out in the 80's. The only top of the line part is the crankset.

@OP - Compared to your Airborne Zepplin this is gonna feel like the QE2. I agree that this is not the right frame for that 9s Ultegra group.

Bill don't agonize over this one... you've got nicer bikes. Its just enticing because its orange.
Originally Posted by treebound
I sold the one I had, needed gas money to get to a new job, seemed like a nice bike and I"d probably still have it even though it was one size too big for me.

My vote would be a lube and tune and ride it stock if possible. But not my bike so not my say.
Yes I did ask for opinions, and value yours; you guys are much more knowledgeable about these bikes (heck, any bikes) than I. OK, back to what I'm trying to accomplish here: I would like a nice looking, lugged (preferably chromed or contrasting colored lugs) steel bike, with a relaxed geometry. Not looking to tour with it, I just like to ride 20-50 mile solo road trips, for fun and exercise. I tend to average 14-16 mph (sometimes better, sometimes worse), and perhaps 30-40 feet average elevation change per mile, sometimes more (rolling hills around here). Most of the hills are 3-7% grades, but the occasional one goes to 10% or more; I don't have the legs or lungs for those without grannie gearing (like down around 23 gear-inches). I have knocked off five trips over 50 miles this year, three of them centuries, and a total of over 1400 miles for the year. And I'm looking for a stable bike, one I can take my hands off the handlebars now and then, to zip up my jersey or whatever (how do the guys on the TdF do it?).

Weight is certainly a concern since I'm only a skinny 5'-11"/152#; an extra 8-10# is a lot percentage-wise for me. On the other hand, the Montague Navigator mentioned above is up in that weight league, and I did 42 miles on it yesterday. And also on the other hand, as I said I'm riding for fun and exercise, so if I go 1/2 mph slower because of the weight, I pretty much have done the same amount of exercise (but let's not get on a scientific discussion of all that ...)

I started out this quest looking at modern steel bikes, but didn't find any suitable ones. Doesn't mean that they're not out there, just that I didn't trip across them. Rivendell Roadeo's are nice but still a bit on the heavy side (I'm told). And like anything that I found custom made, it's in the $2k range or more just for the frame and fork. I might be able to swing that, but I'd much rather not. Perhaps when I get on the bike, I'll find that I like the barend shifters (or at least don't hate them like I do downtube shifters), Perhaps that and a Triplizer and some modern brake pads will do it for me. I'll give it an honest try (but without investing in the Triplizer at first). But if that doesn't work for me, what next? Anyone got a trade? : )

Thanks, Dick