Old 08-06-14, 11:47 AM
Keith99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 73conti
South Suburban Chicagoland.

How do I find out the bike laws in my community?
You say I am supposed to follow the traffic laws? How can I do that when I am cowering to the side of the road with cars passing me? Am I supposed to get in line with the rest of the traffic then? That would be a death sentence.
You might want to post in the regional forum. Also try to find a local club.

Generally the biggest problem for cyclists is that some rule is not enforced or is enforced with reason, E.g. full stop at a stop sign rules and then all of a sudden it is enforced to the letter of the law. Often because of a complaint about cyclists blowing stop signs, an accident or even one cop under 'quota'.

So follow the letter of the law.

Also don't be rude if pulled over. Often with a bike infraction you practically have to talk your way out of a warning into a ticket. Not always, but often enough. Be polite, be sorry ask the officer how to do it right. Once the original ticket is gone you can decide if you want to 'stand up for your rights' or not.

EDIT: Never been pulled over on a bike. That includes when a bunch of us were far from proper at a stop sign right in front of an unmarked police car. (We noticed the radio setup and the lights inside the car too late).

I have several times failed to talk myself into a ticket when the officer was planning on just a warning. And once when they wanted to be SURE I was below the legal limit for alcohol. Not rude, no ticket at all.

Last edited by Keith99; 08-06-14 at 11:51 AM.