View Single Post
Old 08-10-14, 01:38 PM
LastKraftWagen

Bikes: Burley Duet [of some unknown year] (the guinea pig); 2001 Ventana ECDM (the project); And always one less than I think I really need.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Resizing rear dropout spacing

Planning a new build with a 142x12 TA rear spacing... It is my understanding that the right 135mm hub and corresponding adapters can be used for the 142x12 hub, and that switching back and forth between the two sizes isn't too difficult. The opinions I am seeking are in regards to having my steel frame rear dropout resized from 145mm to 135mm so I may reduce the number of wheels I have laying around and the ability to use certain wheelsets on both bikes. While I won't be resizing the frame myself, it is my understanding that it is really simple to do (2x4 and a little elbow grease). Thoughts? Dumb idea? I know, all else being equal, that the 135mm wheel may not be as "durable" [stiff??? stable???], but are there any concerns about bending the chain/seat stays? Is this just a really dumb idea? Frame is chromoly... I'm planning on having disc brake mounts added, should I just have the dropouts switched to 142x12 TAs? Don't know if I feel that the frame is worth the dropout swapout...