View Single Post
Old 08-12-14, 11:17 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Bumparama...
The other day popped into a bike/outdoor store cuz of a sale, and ended up getting a pair of Dry-Lites because I could not resist the sale price of $71. Figure that they will get used over the years in any case.

First impressions, they are as well made as other Arkel products, they just don't weigh a ton. The Velcro system is very flexible and should fit a wide range of racks, will be interesting to see how they fit on a very narrow rack like the axiom streamliner on my wife's bike, a rack that would get put on road bikes without rack bolt holes, and are bikes folks would use for ultra light touring.
As mentioned in earlier posts, you really need to have both sides together and on the bike. I've only used them a few days now but they work fine with only one side filled with stuff, with no sagging to one side.

Commonsense prevailing with sharp and hard objects, the material is reasonably tough but using your noggin with using clothes to prevent hard objects rubbing against inside is the way to go and keep them in good shape, as with not leaning and scraping them against abrasive walls etc.

Flexible hook system, especially combined with the Velcro system overlapping the rack in two directions seems to me that this will eliminate them hopping off rack over a big pothole, the Velcro really seems to hold the bags securely to rack.

There are four sturdy oval plastic clips that appear would be great for using straps or bungies to hold a dry bag on the top of the rack between the two panniers, especially if the panniers are filled and so are somewhat higher than the rack horizontal surface.

Obvious downside, cuz of Velcro, not great for taking off and putting on all the time.

I see these as a great credit card tour system, use a waterproof handlebar bag, a drybag on top of rack for more storage space and you'd easily be able to carry clothes, rain gear and whatnot for a fun light trip. I don't have a small cook set but could see being able to do a lightweight alcohol burner setup and a light tent on rack and as others do on this forum, you could do minimalist camping with a light bike package.

The store where I got them, Le Yeti, told me they hadn't sold many of them, but despite the Velcro aspect of not "easy on-easy off" they are a neat set of waterproof 32 litre panniers.

Will put up more info if I use them more than just commuting.

Last edited by djb; 08-13-14 at 09:34 PM.