Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by egear
Ok for starters the Jamis has alot of lowerend components on it. Secondly if this was indeed a purchased frame that "fell thru" then the dealer most likley dosnt have $1500 in it. I am sure he has much less. The used components are always a question mark for me since I dont know where they really came from. I am not saying that the LBS isn't reputable but. If its been around a while and I believe you said it has I would talk price with the guy. In reality if he wants to rid himself of it I'd see if he would take $1400 for it. Maybe even less. How are the wheels? I would also get a full years warranty on everything. I am always skeptical of used parts. If it were me I'd offer like $1200 cash and not go above $1400. Thats assuming it fits well and everything works correctly.
Everything on the spec sheet looked OK to me for a touring bike except for the gearing is high for loaded touring in the mountains. The lowest rated component on the bike from what I've seen are the canti brakes and when I saw that I laughed. Those are the same ones that came on my Rocky Mountain Sherpa and I've had no reason to think about replacing them. I didn't see anyone on the forums saying the wheels sucked either.

Upon getting up to speed on Waterford's recent history, the Grand Tour is the latest version of the Waterford model that I had, the Waterford Adventure Cycle. This could be a sweet find for a touring bike but I'd want to talk to Waterford/Gunnar with the serial number in hand before I'd make any offer. (just to rule out any repair history, etc.) …and if the parts and frameset is like new, I'd say $1,500 is fair, but I'd also push to get a smaller inner chainring or at least a taller cassette range in the back.