Old 08-12-14, 04:38 PM
dicktill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RandolphCarter
In addition to the suggestions about chain, freewheel, and derailleur hangers, you may also want to take apart the rear derailleur cage and clean and lube the cogs. They may also need to be replaced if the teeth are really worn.

If the axle and headset aren't the problem, it might be the tires. Do you have the same tires and tubes on the bike that came with it? Old, dry tires that have been sitting in one position for years? The tire casing may be deformed and you only notice extra vibration at higher speeds. I have a Centurion with a wobble that went away after replacing the tires.
Hi Randolph, thanks for your posting, and sorry for the slow response. I had hoped to fix up the skip in the drivetrain and the possible shake in the front end and re-test, but haven't yet. BTW, the tires look to be pretty new and nice, definitely not dry-rotted. But the bike was definitely "sitting" for at least the last five years so there could be flat spots.

Looks like you've ended up with the best of possible outcomes - you have a neat old bike you can ride and enjoy right now, and you have an easy upgrade path with lots of options.

You had asked for opinion about possible upgrades - did you buy this bike to look at it, ride it a few times a year on a nice Sunday afternoon, or put lots of miles on it?

If you want to spend several days a week in the saddle, I'd carefully take the old parts off, and replace the levers, wheels, cranks, derailleurs, and brakes. Then you have a sweet riding steel frame with comfortable geometry, and shifting/braking that is pleasant to use. Another bonus is MUCH greater parts availability and serviceability - like if you are on an extended vacation, trip over your bike, and crunch the rear derailleur. Much easier getting a new rear derailleur to match current parts, rather than 40 year old parts.
In answer to your question, I plan (hope) to make this my regular bike, and put lots of miles on it. And I like your idea/advice.

I'm in the process of doing an upgrade on my Trek 310, with Shimano 105, as time and money permit.

One request - please do not put a wheelset with deep v-section aero rims and fewer than 32 spokes on that bike. It would just look goofy.
Totally agreed, there is no way I'd put deep V-section rims and/or fewer than 32 spokes on and/or black rims. I might just put new hubs on these Araya rims (they are 36 spoke), or if I go to 700c's, they'd be Mavic Open Pro.

Good luck with your Trek 310 build!

Regards, Dick