Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekCommuter
Thank you all for the information. One thing I had not even considered was to check with Gunnar regarding the serial number. I sent an e-mail to the store and asked if cash would make them lower the price. The only movement they said they could do would be about $25.00.

I know it seems silly that I am asking this question and have not even ridden it. Perhaps I should explain. This store is not terribly close to me and I was pressed for time when I stopped in previously and thus did not ride it. The stand over height seemed appropriate, though.

At this point, based on responses, I may go back and at least ride it. If I do like it and it fits, then I will contact Gunnar regarding the serial number to find out more and see how much cash really talks with the shop.

Now, let me ask one more question. This is something a co-worker mentioned to me today. I am about 5'9'' to 5'10'' and weigh 140 to 150. My coworker mentioned that a dedicated touring bike may have a harsh ride for someone like me and that I might be better served by a lighter weight sport touring bike. Have any lighter weight riders experienced this with a heavier touring bike?

It sounds like they *may* have been holding onto this bike for a while. I wouldn't insult them LeeG. The components aren't trash, but I'd point out to the shop that the they aren't up to the quality of the frame. You can buy a lot of other bikes for $1,700. The deal has to be right for the buyer and the seller.

I'd call the shop, ask for the serial number, and wouldn't move forward any further without seeing what Waterford can tell you.

Perhaps they don't have much info on it but things they may be able to tell you include:
Is it listed as stolen with them.
Was it returned for repair.
Was it a custom build and if so, what are the details, angles, sizing, etc.
Is the shop the point of origin for that frameset and if not, what shop was.

Given what you've mentioned about this frame, I'd at least see if the there's any repair history before driving whatever distance to ride it.

I'm 165 lbs 5'11" and a strong rider. I enjoyed riding my Adventure Cycle in club rides. Thought it was a fun bike to ride, loaded or not. I'm not certain as to how much Waterford's 1900 Adventure Cycle lines up with the Gunnar Grand Tour though. Waterford would be able to answer that as well.

You started this thread out mentioning that you'd been looking for a Trek 520. Sounds like you might be leaning more toward sport touring. Hard call and one that you'll have to make. The Grand Tour is something of an all-rounder, road and fire road. Road sport bikes are a fair step away from that, and right in the middle of the two is the cycle cross bike, not to make this harder on you. What drew you to the Trek 520?