View Single Post
Old 08-15-14, 09:18 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by onbike 1939
In truth the thickness of the leather was very variable and I've found huge differences in thickness in the same model of saddle. I bought two Team Pros at the same time and found that one had double the thickness of the other (I wondered for a couple of years why one wouldn't break in).
Personally, I wouldn't use Proofide on the underside but rather a coating of leather conditioner such as "Hydrophane" and would pay particular attention to the area around the rivets. Not too much though, as again this would over-soften the leather.

After using these saddles for over forty years I've come to the conclusion that, the thickness of the leather being equal, breaking-in time depends upon the amount of covering over the "sit-bones". I say this after watching an eight-stone female work her way through countless saddles while I struggle to break one in. Now I don't bother as I soak the leather while new, then create the required depressions with my thumb before allowing the saddle to dry to its previous hardness.
the varying thickness comment makes sense, and I figure there will always be differences as the product is not punched out of a machine made out of plastic and controlled to x thickness, there will always be differences.

your technique of putting your own depressions in with your thumb coincides with stories I have read of people using a golf ball. Your soaking of it kind of goes along with other stories of riding on a damp facecloth to soften the leather. I'd be more inclined to only want to stretch out the depressions in the specific area, a la technique you describe, but in any case, I'd be very careful about anything that overly softens the main body of the saddle as its clear you dont want that part to sag etc.

Im a light fellow, and was surprised by how the break in period wasnt too bad for my first Brooks, the one that is more flexible than the other, so again, in hindsight, I may have put a bit too much proofide on it, but I ride it often and it is still very comfortable so its not a real issue--Im thinking more in terms of long long term life it might be better to be very sparing with proofide.
And I do like your idea of essentially forming the two depressions gently purposely while leaving the rest of the body of leather alone, I may go along those lines if I ever get another one.

no doubt about it, a leather saddle does require some intuition and observation about getting it into good riding shape and keeping it in good shape. I guess because I have the interest this aspect of it is not a problem for me, and outweighed by the riding comfort compared to previous bike seats I've had, but can understand completely that its not for everyone.

I always maintain that its only a bike seat, whatever seat that works for you is fine.

cheers