View Single Post
Old 08-15-14, 10:00 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
It is curious how the rider's jersey changes from light to dark and his pannier disappears as he crosses onto the near shoulder of the road.
I zoomed in and slowed the sequence and noted that the "transformation" occurs in front of that boxy apparent generator of the lighted sign rather than behind it, and the transition still looked seamless, even down to the position of heads and shoulders and tilt of helmets.

Anyways, is anybody riding this week? I did my first early morning commute from Kenmore to Norwood in a few days this morning. At about 4:30 AM to my surprise the streets were wet and the rain icon was on the weather channel as a mass of green was almost finished passing over Boston. Since my carbon fiber bike does not go out under such circumstances, I had to prep the heavy beater mountain bike which I hadn't ridden in well over a month, though the car beckoned. Just yesterday I posted to this thread, Getting “out the door”

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…The increased prep time in bad (cold or rainy) weather is for me a major, but not insurmountable detriment to that kind of riding, Often the preparations to be made are not apparent until the start of the ride for an early AM commuter.
The ride was dry and the streets damp to wet, and I might have ridden the CF, but I was already “out the door.” I was unusually tired when I arrived, maybe from the bike weight, or maybe a head wind. (I assess the wind from the flags flying en route. When I arrived, the flags were limp, though I rationalized maybe they were wet and too heavy to flap in the wind.) Nonetheless, beyond the usual benefits of riding the bike rather than driving the car, I was greeted by the Fleet Goddess.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…when I encounter a certain morning runner approaching in the opposite direction, I know it’s going to be a good day. One day as I was riding in the opposite of my normal direction I rode along side her and we exchanged real names. However, she is still known to me as the “Fleet Goddess.”
For all the times we have encountered each other over several, maybe more than ten years, I can anticipate her on a segment of Washington St in Westwood less than a half mile long, between about 6 to 6:30 AM, though not always.