View Single Post
Old 08-16-14, 11:10 AM
Steve Urquell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I wish you well for a quick recovery. You didn't mention your age, but I can tell you that physical recovery time goes up with age. Mental recovery is a very different thing, and IME depends on the nature of the accident as much as the extent of injury.

Many years ago I had the misfortune to hit a steel deck bridge at high seed on a rainy day. It was like ice, and I still remember how fast my bike shot out from under me. Though I escaped with only very minor injuries, I walked back to find my bike under the front axle of a tractor trailer whose driver had neatly straddled it with no contact. This was a real "what might have been moment" and for years steel deck remained suoer high on my fear list. (still hate them today 40 years later, but no longer get white knuckles).

I expect that you'll get back on the horse, and will be nervous at blind corners for a while, expecting and adjusting for a crazy coming around. But after a while of nobody coming around, you'll settle back into the groove.

One thing you might take away is to never try to regain the path or road when you ride off out of control. The drop off or "burm" is a barrier like railroad tracks and you cannot climb back up while nearly parallel. It will repel the bicycle while you continue and dump onto the path. If you go off a road or path, scrub off speed until you recover, or take the crash there. Had this happened on a road, the bike would have ended up on the verge, with you lying sprawled in the traffic lane.
I'm 45 y/o, 160lbs. I've encountered the edge before and knew better. The reaction w/o the time to think is what got me crashed. My brain said "You're gonna crash if you stay on this bumpy grass shoulder" Then the body turned the bars towards the concrete.