View Single Post
Old 08-18-14, 07:40 AM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Whatever floats your boat. I think all your points are valid but I also find camping in the country to be more pleasant and usually more secluded and easier to find a place where you won't be disturbed.
I've only been disturbed once and that was a night when I came down with the stomach flu around 10:15PM. I didn't care if I got disturbed or not I was far more interested in safety. The campsite, a baseball field...in September, was more a safety risk than anything else so I chose the spot where I knew I was going to get thrown out simply for the safety factor in case anything happened.

I make a point of going thru a town sometime during the day and I pick up food while I'm there. Finding a place to get food is trivial on a smart phone, so this is a quick stop. It is a stop during the day time. But finding my campsite is not hardly any investment of time. I just start looking late in the day. I'm not really spending time doing that, since I'm just following my route. I'm not scanning around for a secluded spot on google earth - I'm just watching the scenery go by.
I don't ever find No Trespassing signs to deal with. I don't have to worry about property owner since my property owners are generally churches or the tax payers. I may find a Closed Dusk to Dawn sign on occasion, generally only on the weekends, but I don't ever see No Trespassing signs. I don't pass up nice campsites to keep myself from possibly getting busted by a property owner.

Bugs are an issue. But not a difficult one. I carry some bug repellant and often use some shortly after arriving at my site. Then that's good thru the night.
You can have the cancer that goes along with putting all that bug dope on your skin. I don't use any of the bug dope...I don't have to since I stay away from the bugs in the first place.