View Single Post
Old 08-19-14, 07:03 PM
Beljum

Bikes: Schwinn Premis and Raleigh Talus 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RandyJawa.. That is a beautiful machine. The curved step thru frame really sets it off. (PS: I have kin in Lundar. Not too far from you.)

Nlerner.. Thanks for the tip. I already used a technique using paint to patch up the rear fender and frame with very good results. I sprayed and pinstriped the front fender. I’ll post details on that later this week (I’m too lazy now).

Some progress was made since the last post.

All rotating assemblies were disassembled, cleaned and lubricated. No real problems during this task except for a few surprises that were gifts from the Raleigh and Sturmey-Archer assembly lines.

A cracked spacer on the rear brake linkage pivot near the crank. Stock spacers appear to be made using a sintering process. I fabricated one out of regular old steel (7/16” OD, 0.2” ID and file a tapered radius) and painted it black before assembly.

Inspection of the rear hub assembly revealed a stuck pawl. After prying the pawl pin out, the problem was discovered. Looks like the spring got in the way of inserting the pin and our friendly Sturmey-Archer assembly person used a bit of old-fashioned persuasion to drive the pin home.

A little straightening and some lubrication resulted in an operational assembly.

The grease I use is synthetic and waterproof.

bel

Last edited by Beljum; 08-30-14 at 11:19 AM. Reason: clarified sturmey archer and raleigh