View Single Post
Old 09-03-14, 01:30 AM
kivin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elephino
A good point. (Sorry, I was looking at USD prices--my mistake).

Your LBS probably offers bike assembly service; mine does, and looking up the price online it's really reasonable. That could work for the Jamis Coda or something from a discount site. But I have to admit I'm biased towards that option right now--I just picked up an old rigid CroMo mtb and am converting it into my winter commuter (and future touring bike?), so that's what's on my mind.

My 3-season commuter is rigid fork, all aluminum like the Escape 2 (and very comparable to the Trek FX). I would say your assessment of "a little harsh" over rough surfaces is accurate, especially if you plan to keep up a decent speed. It does surprisingly well over gravel and packed dirt, but hitting patches of torn-up pavement too fast has given me problems in the past. Much more in the hand-grip department than seat discomfort. I would not want it for even "very occasional" singletrack/mtb.

The Escape 3 says it has a steel fork which would be heavier but a smoother ride on pavement. I don't know if that would make it any more off-road capable.

I am 5'3 and 700 tires work fine. For what it's worth.

Good luck! Buying bikes is fun!
Thank you for your help.
The wife and I found a local dealer in Ottawa, about 75 mins away (Does that still make them local) which is selling the Escape City Femme for $-100 off, or $499 total. We're going to ring the in the morning and see if they've got a few different frame sizes for her to mount and maybe we'll take one home.

As for me, I could either get an Escape 2 from the same place, or an Escape City myself, though it's a bit more than the femme model. Or, I'm still looking at that Jamis Coda Sport online.

At this point, people have pretty smartly talked me out of getting anything with a cheap suntour suspension.