Old 10-21-05, 12:12 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
You'll get no argument from me about spending $1k-$3k on a tandem but lets not kid ourselves, a Hi-Ten steel frame is not going to give the kind of ride that better steel or even aluminum can provide. The reason I bought the Kent was that for $200.00 the componentry was actually quite serviceable. If I had had to replace the cranks, stem and tires it would not have made sense at all. In fact I have about a $200.00 order in to Nashbar to go with my purchase of the Kent at Wal-Mart and it is all for things to enhance our experience of the tandem, not make it over: pump, rack/bag, f/r/ strobes, headlight, tights, spare tubes, etc. These are things you will also need in addition to what you have spent on basic running gear for the bicycle. We do plan to change the pedals, not because they don't work but because they won't take toe clips, the saddles are also on the list of things to upgrade but the basic running gear of the Kent tandem is very sound and should be on any bicycle that one wants to consider a 'good purchase'. In the end I don't blame you for wanting to point out your experience vs the multi-thousand dollar extremes I've done as much in other posts but you give those of us that have bought ultra-cheap tandems a bad name when you try to say with a straight face that you put VERY LITTLE work into making it pleasant to live with after mentioning that you actually had to loctite cranksets made for 1/2 bikes into your tandem to make it work for you. Some folks like to wrench on their cars on the weekend and some like to wrench on their bikes, I'm not putting that down but you have to look at it from where we do. It doesn't really seem like you came out as well as you think you did.

H