Old 09-08-14, 11:53 AM
John Hood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I grew up in Detroit and biked all over--back in the 1970s when crime rates were much higher than they are now. There was a lot more traffic then also. The potholes are no worse than other cities in Michigan (which, granted, are pretty bad.)

The dangers of Detroit are HIGHLY exaggerated! I think about moving back there when I retire in a few years.
I've worked in "ghetto" neighborhoods for years now. One of the things you come to realize very quickly, is that while most residents are poor, relatively few are actually thugs and those that are usually aren't that interested in you. Even when they are, they're not necessarily hostile. I did a job a few months ago for a big guy with visible gang tattoos and he was a very nice guy to work for.

I think there are a handful of things that make the difference between whether a rough neighborhood will be safe for you or dangerous. Number one is why are you there. In my case, I'm wearing an orange vest and driving a utility truck. I've got a reason to be there and I'm not suspicious or intruding on anyone's turf. Some others would be your age and gender. Young males can view other young males as competition. When you're pushing 50 like me, you're no longer a competitor. Another is vulnerability. Predators prey on the weak. You don't have to appear to be Brock Lesnar, but you shouldn't look like an easy mark either. Don't go into certain neighborhoods after dark. Even in the ghetto there are good and bad areas. Early in the morning however, even before sunrise, is often the best time to be there. That's when I used to disconnect people. Lastly, there are certain things that should make you think, hey, it's time to clear out of here. If people are getting rowdy out in the street, just move along.

Finally, one danger people often completely overlook...dogs. There are tons of loose, chained up and poorly contained pitbulls in just about any ghetto, (black, white or Hispanic), and you are much more likely to encounter one of them snarling at you or biting at your tires than a gangsta packing an Uzi.