Old 10-21-05, 02:21 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by awagner
Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes by speaking against disposable bicycles.
There's no need for anyone to apologize for speaking their mind; however, at the same time it's fair to expect that there may be dissenting opinions or ensuing discussions. In regard to my question to which you kindly responded, I tend to search for context when I don't have any to go on... and your response was quite interesting in that, while you have access to a premium grade tandem -- the Burley -- you also find yourself on a Schwinn cruiser. So, let me ask you this: even though the Schwinn is hardly a premium grade machine, do you enjoy riding it? Yes, it's a rhetorical question because obviously you do otherwise you'd put the $20/mo to use in some other way.

So, this brings up back to this particular thread which really deals with the economics of a luxury item and both its intrinsic and non-intrinsic value... after all, if you don't "need" a bike for transportation or rely on it for livelihood it's a luxury item. While I too wince when people speak of department store bicycles, I try to put myself in their shoes by asking questions to fill in any gaps that help me to understand their budget, goals, and expectations for the purchase they are contemplating (mark 317) or, in Cliff's case (chorvath), had already made. Mark317 clearly understood what he was looking at and didn't have any unrealistic expectations but merely wanted to know if he should pass on it and why. I think the follow ups were all fairly objective, to the point, and Mark317 was ultimately appreciative of the feedback.

Cliff, on the other hand, was in a different boat along with "H" (Leisesturm), as they were kind enough to offer first hand experience with the purchases that they had already made. Within both of their posts it was clear that they too knew what they were getting into when they purchased these bikes and, at the same time, it was also clear they were both satisfied with what they had acquired. Therefore, we must assume that for them the amount of money they paid for their respective bikes was equal to or greater than the non-intrinsic value and pleasure they were deriving from it. Will this condition change over time, e.g., if and when spokes break or bearings need attention? Perhaps. Will either of these two gentlemen be surprised if and when that happens? Based on what they shared in their posts, probably not. However, as a tandem enthusiast and advocate I firmly believe that they have at least been able to find out if tandeming was something they would enjoy NOW rather than procrastinating and perhaps never acting on.... and the cost associated with that certainly appears to have been comfortable with respect to their individual economic situations. Which, with respect to your $20/month Schwinn, sounds quite familiar.

On a final note, and to add context, if you search the archives or find yourself in the company of other tandemists in the future you will find that there are many tandem buyers who parallel the buying pattern of Cliff and H but who found that $1,800 or perhaps $2,500 was an easy pill to swallow for their view of an "entry level tandem" (remembering that economics are what they are) and within their first year of ownership opted to "upgrade" the mediocre wheelset that came on the bike with a "better" set of wheels for $500 or decided to add that $395 carbon fork... making the point that it's all relative.

Just some food for thought.

Edit: This was composed off-line and, in the interim, Cliff has reaffirmed the thought I was trying to express.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 10-21-05 at 02:45 PM.