View Single Post
Old 09-12-14, 12:15 PM
mm718

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by etsisk
the new cassette will have a 36 on it. When I get around to the chainrings, I'll go with mid 20's - maybe a 24, but I don't know the numbers, just what folks tell me about the results. I know that with the 28 cog/30 chainring it ain't easy enough.
I find that when I ride up a very steep hill UNLOADED that my lowest gear combo 26/34 is just about right This tells me that a mountain triple would be better for when I am loaded. Below are three quotes on the mountain triple from people who rode the TransAm. I am not sure but I think parts of your Atlantic Coast route may even be steeper than the Appalachians on the Transam.

When we purchased the bikes, we traded out the standard chain ring (with 28, 38, and 48 teeth on the three rings) and replaced it with a 22-32-44 chain ring. This has provided us with much lower "granny gears" for the hills. The cost of this change is a loss of pedal power at higher speeds. For those familiar with gear inch measurements, we changed from a range of 22.2 - 117.8 inches (standard chain ring) to a range of 17.5 - 108.0 inches with the chain ring we use. In practical terms, this tradeoff means that we are able to usefully pedal up steep hills at speeds as low as 2.5 mph. But on downhills, once we get up over 31 or 32 mph, we can no longer pedal - the pedals just spin, unable to do any work. Any speeds we have achieved faster than that have been due purely to gravity! For our touring objectives, this tradeoff has been well worth it, and has enabled us to say that we have never walked a hill on any of our tours (except for a couple of ridiculously steep driveways)! For others who are stronger riders and who like to hit the higher speeds, this choice of chain ring would not be for them.
To achieve a lower gear ratio, I exchanged the stock triple crank (with 26/36/48 rings) with a Deore XT M770 triple crank with 22/32/44 rings. The lower gear ratio really helps on the hills when the bike is loaded. I have ridden it fully loaded on the Ride Across North Carolina and from my home in Mt Vernon, VA to Pittsburgh, PA via the C&O Canal and the Great Allegheny Passage. It has held up very well, with the only incident being a broken spoke on the NC ride.
Install a mountain bike triple crank (44-32-22) and an 11/34 cassette for your next tour. I wish I had.
Links to these pages below...

Biking Across America: Recap: Bike Equipment & Packing Summary: What we used, what we took, how it worked out
Three Retirees Westbound on the TransAm: The Bike: Surly Long Haul Trucker
Three Spokes and a Mirror: Summary: