Old 10-22-05, 12:14 PM
Mars
coitus non circum.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From my years as an all weather, year round commuter, I belive that the biggest risk factors for injury is falling down because of pilot error. Here are my tips to help prevent crashng all by yourself:

- slicks provide the best traction on pavement, if that is what you ride on, use slicks. Make sure that you keep them at the proper inflated level
- do not ride over manhole covers or sewer grates, no matter what the cagers think
- cracks in the pavement that run the same direction as you are travelling are very dangerous. Avoid and monitor carefully
- lines painted on pavement are very slippery when wet. Take this into account on rainy days
- if you are going to take a hit from a hole or object you haven't seen until too late, grip your bars and try to take as much weight off the front wheel as you can.
- try to be as "situationally aware" as possible. I try and moniter my surroundings with eyes, ears, and "esp". I don't wear headphones and focus on the road/cars/bike exclusive of anything else.