View Single Post
Old 09-19-14, 11:05 AM
Motolegs

Bikes: General 80's MTB "Icebreaker", Motobecane Grand Jubilee (vintage mint), Trek 1.1, 2014 Motobecane Mirage (steel) Trek 3500 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Berta
This actually happened to me a few years ago. The bike I was riding got stolen. I bumped into a circa 1990 Specialized Hard Rock in Value Village for $19. I figured I'd have to buy tubes and tires at the very least, but everything worked and only needed a little cleaning and lubing. My car ended up in the shop for four weeks soon after I got the bike.

I need to find much better alternatives for hands and feet. I have plenty of wool socks, but they alone didn't do the trick last winter, nor did my gloves with liners. I also want to buy a silk base layer, as I found I'm not crazy about a polyester first layer, even though I can handle bike shorts. I also might consider a wind-resistant balaclava.
Nice find on the $19 Hard Rock! Went to the thrift store today, nothing but ladies' and kids bikes. Once I found a cherry condition Motobecane Grand Jubille for $50 which I own to this day.

On to the Winter riding topic. Mittens are where its at, gloves in my experience never kept out the cold beyond the first mile or so. A good beanie that fits under your helmet is a must. Still haven't found the ideal socks.