View Single Post
Old 09-22-14, 07:35 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Willbird
Well these days, "special order" for me is Amazon.com, and it shows up 2 days later :-).

"We can order that for you"......well heck I can order it for me too :-).

Bill
And if you're OK with installing it yourself, that's a great option. I'm sure that you also understand that if you're ordering new levers, you'll probably want new brake and shift cables to go with them, and bar tape unless you plan on re-wrapping with what you have, and while you're at it you might think about refreshing your housing since you've got everything unwrapped, and don't forget ferrules, and knowing well enough to file/grind your brake housing ends before installation... I've seen a whole lot of "I tried to fix it myself" jobs roll into the shop which end up costing more than if they'd have brought it in to us first.
Before I worked in a shop, I used to order all my stuff from JensonUSA, Wiggle, Amazon, Harris, AE Bike, and various others. It was just as fast as LBS special order, no markup, and I knew how to do my own labour.
There are plenty of people who are really good at riding bikes but don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold, or they just can't be arsed to spend the time working on their bike when they can toss a few bucks at their LBS to do it for them. There are even more people who just enjoy riding their bike and don't really care how it works or how to fix it. They just want to ride, and if something breaks they bring it to their LBS to get it fixed.