View Single Post
Old 10-23-05, 07:36 AM
Jim-in-Kirkland

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello TxBiker,

Good luck in improving your commute routes – you have taken the first step. As previous replies to your post suggest, it is a long frustrating process involving a fair bit of politics starting with your local neighborhood association, city council and then county & state agencies.

I also feel the cost issue is overshadowed by the "vision issue" (i.e. “Bike lanes on roadways designed to accommodate the safe movement of passenger vehicles and trucks is not the appropriate location for the majority of bicyclists.” - which implies that bicycles are “toys or just for children on the sidewalk” and are not part of the regional transportation system).

Obviously roads can be designed for safe simultaneous car and bike traffic but the design specifics and requirements will vary with each project. For your next effort - I would suggest teaming up with a bicycle friendly traffic engineer to review the preliminary project plans so that you can offer specific design modifications for the final plans that meet state & national safety standards stated in a terminology that Mr. Rollwitz can understand.

Take care,
Jim Hunt – Kirkland, WA