Old 10-08-14, 02:25 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
What's a "data bit" and how do I manage them on a Garmin 800?

On the Devil Mountain double century earlier this year, my Garmin 800 stopped working at mile 137 even though I had recharged it after 100 miles and it still had plenty of charge left.

Another rider told me that I'd used up all the "data bits" (whatever they are?) since there was so much climbing on this ride, plus I had my heart monitor on (which uses up more "data bits," apparently) the Garmin had "used up" all the allocated "data bits" for one ride.

Okay, I am so non-techy that I have no clue but I'm hoping someone here does. Or could refer me to a previous thread on this subject . . . maybe?

Anyway, said rider told me I had to hit the "Reset" button to start a new ride at about the 100 mile point and I could (somehow) link the rides back together when the rides had been uploaded to my Garmin/Strava pages. Is this true and if so, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Rick / OCRR (not a tech guy!)

Note: Had plenty of "data bits" for the Grand Tour double in June (only 8,000 ft. of climbing) and ran out of "data bits" just at the end of the Knoxville double (13,900 ft. of climbing @ 202 miles) two weeks ago (no heart monitor on Knoxville though).