View Single Post
Old 11-17-14, 08:37 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by FlanHi
Turtle Bay is up in the northwest corner of Oahu, out in the "country" and on the edge of the North Shore surfing community. I have no experience renting bikes here, since I have five of them in the garage. Yelp.com has recommendations, however, including North Shore Bike Rentals in Haleiwa, which is about 8 miles from the resort. According to the Yelp review, they'll deliver bikes to your hotel. The big wave surfing season is starting and the road will be choked with traffic on the weekends, so I'd recommend a mid-week bike outing, either westward through Haleiwa Town out to Dillingham air field and Kaena Point or east and south to Kahuku, Hauula and Punaluu.

Thank you! We were thinking the area by the old airfield would be quiet. We drove down there the last time we stayed on Oahu (roughly 10 years ago). I will post updates on rental shops and routes on our return.

Funny story about driving past the airfield... as we were driving a long there were plane parts everywhere, then a full section of fuselage with seat hanging upside down and engine just laying on the beach. We were so confused, how did we not hear about a plane crash?? Why are we allowed to drive right through the wreck?? On the return trip, we saw signs marking it a film set, but we didn't notice the signs early because the plane crash set took all of your attention. It was the set for "Lost".