View Single Post
Old 12-07-14, 10:28 AM
akexpress 

Bikes: 2015 Calfee Tetra tandem,2016 Calfee Tetra Adventure Tandem, Ventana ECDM 26 mtn tandem, Ventana ECDM 29r full suspension Mtn tandem ,Ventana Fat tire tandem, Calfee Dragon Fly, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010, 907 Whiteout fat tire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
We don't have a safe case instead two S&S cases but three of our travel friends do and they have never had a problem an any trip. they have paid at times when we did not have to, but the Safe cases always got on. Payment is random even within the same airlines. I helped people check in for a flight home from Auckland on a Santana New Zealand trip and there was an unusual number of full size tandem cases and boxes on that trip as there were lots of people whom it was their first travel trip. Something like 12 couples had full size cases and the fee charged ranged from $67 to over 400 for the same flight and essentially the same boxes, it just depended what agent you got. The one advice I would have is to be very nice and act like the case is not an issue and don't bring up dimensions weights etc. Also as sexist as it seems have the person checking in be the opposite sex of the agent as we have seen that senerio work out well many times. Also fly the airlines that you have the highest frequent flier miles status on at the start of the trip if you can because they want your continued business and can at least get the outbound legs to Europe for less fees many times. We just flew to Colorado with two S&S cases and 3 other bags and the agent just smiled and said have a great trip and we appreciate your loyalty and business (Alaska Airlines). As the last resort fall back option, print out the specific airlines baggage policy regarding bikes and oversize luggage and if things get ugly pull it to and show the agent. Otherwise just have your credit card ready and enjoy the trip because I can assure you in the middle of a great trip you won't think much about the small fee it was to have your own bike and lovely stoker to pedal with.