View Single Post
Old 12-16-14, 05:06 PM
rcschafer

Bikes: '59 Raleigh Lenton, '86 Peugeot PSN-10 Triathalon, '84 Peugeot PGN-10, 8? Peugeot UE-18, Peugeot NS-540, '86 Giant Iguana (Xtracycle), Holdsworth Gemini tandem, Surly Cross Check fixie, '86 Centurion MV Ironman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another Gary Fisher Gemini

Saw this on local CL for $200 and figured what the heck. It was in typical condition for CL bikes around here (hodgepodge of original/aftermarket parts, rusty drivetrain slathered in motor oil) but the frame looked good and fits me. Given the lack of mountains around here I'm rebuilding it as a heavy-duty social ride cruiser with trekking bars, v-brakes and Big Apple tires. GF/stoker is cautiously enthusiastic.

I'm not sure of the model year and haven't dug around for the SN yet but this one retained some original componentry: Suntour Self-Energizing rear cantilevers, GF "Bulge" bar, Shimano Deore SIS 7sp thumb shifters, an Araya 26" 36-spoke MTB rim. The front end was replaced; instead of an Evolution headset and fork it has what appears to be a standard 1-1/8" threadless setup (with a very long steerer) and a 32-spoke Sun CR18 rim. I'm going to get it basically running and see about outfitting it for day rides (mudguards, racks) once springtime rolls around.

Original CL photo

Partially Disassembled and Big Apples

First Test Ride