Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by scarleton
Oh, that is a really good point, I never mentioned my weight/size. I am 6'4" and currently 293 lb. I have a feeling that if I ride all the KM I want to ride this year, I might be a bit lighter come Dec 2015 I am running 28mm right now due to my size. My bike, the Surly Pacer can fit 28's with fenders (which is on my wish list) and 32s without fenders. Because of my size, I am thinking that 32s would be more comfortable over the long haul, but I am afraid that if I go with 32s I will like it so much that I won't get fenders come the spring brevets in April when I do expect to see rain, so I am sticking with 28s for now.

I am ALWAY open to folks opinions on my though process. Am I better off with sticking with 28s and adding fenders or forgoing the fenders for 32s? Your thoughts?

I simply HATE flats, not because of meeting any type of time, it is just annoying to me, personally, having to stop and change a flat It is sort of funny, the bike shop I work with is owned by a young husband/wife team. The wife says she always welcomes a flat fore it gives them a chance to stop, take a 10 minute break and to socialize a bit. I totally get it and don't think others in the group getting a flat would bother me so much, I think I don't like the greasy fingers. Maybe I should simply carry some of those individual wipes with me
Latex gloves. I ride tandem with my wife. Our team weight is 288, plus the 36 lb. bike, plus gear and water for both of us. We run PRO4 Endurance in 25mm which will measure almost 28mm after being inflated for a few days. They're the best tires we've ever run on the tandem. Be fine for you. We seldom flat. 28mm and fenders, definitely.

Depending on your group, you may find that brevets are not like other group rides: everyone is supposed to complete the ride without assistance, or some variation on that thought. Thus I see folks go by and say "Got everything you need?" after they are already 20' past the stopped rider. Mostly, folks around here don't stop.

We are running 23mm wide rims, also a good idea if you're running wider tires like that. Kinlin 279 rims and CX-Ray spokes for laughs (and endurance).

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 12-24-14 at 10:40 AM.