Old 10-29-05, 10:12 PM
chajmahal
bum bike

Bikes: '85 Woodrup Giro-Touring, 87 Centurion LeMans RS (2), 78 Centurion LeMans, 77 Centurion Super LeMans, 2001 Jamis Quest, 1970 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking at the old weinmann centerpull brakes, they seem to have space for 700c wheels. 700c are a little smaller diameter than 27s right? Making it a 700 is an option.

Nashbar has pretty cheap deals on 27" rims and spokes seem to be cheaper there. I don't think San Diego has a bike co-op but I've been told there are a couple of used bike/used parts shops in the city like Ye Olde Bike Shop and Pedal Pushing. I'll try there for alloy rim 27" and 700 wheels or rims.

Either way it will be my first wheel build so I'll learn something and this isn't my commuter so I won't be stuck without wheels if I totally hose this up. Anyone see these "hybrid" wheels on Nashbar? http://tinyurl.com/87rpe $70 seems like an okay deal for both wheels new. Any problems with the width of these rims? I'll be running 28-32mm or 1-1/4" wide tires and the Grand Prix has the space between the stays.

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of good info I didn't have. I'm ping-ponging between choices but $ will probably make the decision for me. EDIT: forgot to mention $ is code for wife. Ah yes, the dreaded keeper of the checkbook. I fear her.
EDIT 2: Forgot about Michel Gagnons post " Since you are prepared to spend some money, check if one or both sets of brake pads can be lowered by 4 mm...
If you can lower the brake pads by 4 mm, it means you can install 700c wheels instead of the 27" wheels you have." I definitely have 4mm of space right now.

Last edited by chajmahal; 10-29-05 at 10:19 PM.