Thread: Darn Rain!
View Single Post
Old 02-15-03, 09:06 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally posted by Kev
Chris isn't it sick you are completely surrounded by water, but have a shortage..
I really think the drought of the last two years has caught a lot of people by surprise. Just to give you an idea, the current level of the Gold Coast water supply is around 29% capacity (it was 28% before last week's rain). Prior to 2002, the previous all-time low had been 56%. I really think nobody on the coast at least expected the situation to ever become this bad. Basically we've had two years of record low rainfall.

As far as alternatives go, you might have a case re: desalinisation. Surely can't be more expensive than some ideas I've heard mooted over here (trying to turn rivers inland for one). Personally I'd like to see them better utilise existing water supplies first. The amount of water we could save through, for example, more efficient irrigation practices...

I'll shut up now as I don't want to take over this whole thread.

P.S. I'm one of those crazy people who actually thinks rain is preferable weather for riding.

That is all.