View Single Post
Old 01-23-15, 03:03 PM
Fastfwd01

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105, 2006 Cannondale F300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
If you want new wheels, buy new wheels. But chasing weight and speed on a 24 pound bike is pretty pointless, especially when your measuring stick is Strava.
I’m simply asking for input from more experienced cyclists about my personal situation when the mantra seems to be that wheels are the first thing to upgrade. I concur that I question if there is a point to expensive super light wheels on a bike that is never going to be light no matter what. That’s why I’m asking around beyond the bike shop that will want to sell me wheels and make up reasons.

If you want to go faster, you should buy a book on training or hire a coach, and train. Start with then engine, not the equipment.
I’m 43 years old. I’ve gone from weighing 270lbs a few short years ago to 160lbs last summer. Cycling helped me to drop 40lbs last year to get to 160lbs (I’ve gained back a few in the winter months). I’m not really sure a lecture on me needing to start with my fitness is necessary from you. I rode an over 7 year old entry level mountain bike for the majority of the year last year before I felt like I earned myself a new road bike at the end of the summer.

My average speeds on my rides and segment times on Strava have improved dramatically since getting the road bike. I don’t know how that factors into your equation of the equipment not mattering.

I picked up a Garmin Performance Bundle recently and an indoor trainer. I do intend to attempt to start becoming a little more scientific about my training efforts. I wouldn’t consider that this *equipment* is necessarily frivolous in an attempt to get more serious about training and/or maintaining my fitness through the winter.

No, riding on a team with sponsor logos on the kit does not mean one is a pro.

If you want to know how fast you are compared to the fast people in your area, pin on a number and race. Strava is pretty meaningless.
I’m not sure what your personal bias is against Strava. I guess that you race a lot and anyone who doesn’t race as much as you isn’t really serious, worthy, or whatever IDK. I personally find it very motivating to see improvements gauged by personal records being broken and placing in the rankings on segments that are beating out what I have possibly improperly classified as ‘pros.’

The individual that I apparently displaced on my best recent placement was a ‘Cat 2’ road cyclist as he lists himself. I consider that to be a significant achievement if he or the others qualify technically as ‘pros’ or not. They DO participate on Strava so I have to assume that they made their best effort on those segments to have placed where they placed. They are on racing teams (one of these guys is the team manager of his team and the local Pro-Am Race Director – whatever that means). I presume based on that they would take their placements fairly seriously if they participate. I beat their all-time best times on a bike that weighs in probably over 25lbs riding weight and I’m about 15lbs heavier than my best weight last summer when I could have stood to lose another 5-10lbs to really be getting fit. On a winter day wearing winter weather gear. Yes, I’m pretty proud of that!

I seriously doubt that everyone starts out racing nor does everyone even care about racing at all. I wouldn’t have chosen an endurance bike if I were interested in ‘racing’ in what I might consider the more traditional sense of it. I believe I pretty clearly stated that my main goal was to possibly participate in a few centuries and/or gran fondos and simply complete them with respectable times. I don’t intend upon pitting myself against the fastest people involved to see if I can beat them over a full race course. I might be surprised if I continue to improve though. I may gain more of an interest in competing.

I might also enjoy seeing my Strava segment placements improve. It motivates ME. It might not mean a lot to YOU, but I didn’t ask for YOUR opinion on the validity of what Strava represents to ME.

If new wheels might help me to achieve my goals then I might like to hear suggestions from more experienced riders if they would be worth the money and what options would be the best choice. I do appreciate the suggestions given already.