Old 02-06-15, 09:35 AM
ColnagoC40

Bikes: Vitus 979 x 2, Vitus 992, Colnago C40, Colnago C60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
If you are simply being declarative, you need to be more specific. You didn't mention what year C60 you have or what kind of BB it has. The new C60 has a very different wide shell BB. Today, Campy can be made to work effectively with press fit BB's being narrow or wide shell press fit.

So before you believe you have an accident in waiting, you need to be specific about what BB type you are mating with your SR UT. Also your 'hydrodynamic lubrication' reference needs further elaboration to make your point. Grease should not be in the equation. Loctite should be used to secure press fit joints. It is not a viscous fluid and prone to hydraulic displacement as you suggest.

The biggest problem with press fit, it builders don't know how to build them or don't understand the physics at play. Yes Campy's press in cups for BB30 and PF30 in particular aren't the best but today there are alternatives which make UT work effectively. Wide shell BB86 applications are no problem with UT provided they are installed with best practices.
Answers to your questions:

The Colnago C60 was launced in August last year, they are all the same so far, mine is a 2015.

Pressfit BB86.5, Colnago uses a special arrangement here they call "ThreadFit 82.5" this allows the BB cups to be pressed into replaceable precision machined BB piece. Ernesto allows us to have no movement between frame and BB cups and allows us to replace the BB cups a gazillion times without any risk to wearing out or damaging the frame, without the use of Loctite.

2015 Campy Super Record, Ultra Torque with the ceramic bearings serial number 0196, so some of the early production.

"Hydro dynamic lubrication" means the concave shape of the bearing cone and the bearing cup, with balls held together by a race, distributes lubricant when the bearing turns so that there is a protecting film between ball, cone and cup always.

A sliding fit between bearing cup an frame BB retaining cup will wear the pressed in frame cup out in the area where the bearing outer cup moves, due to movement without the above described lubrication action.

Some of my opinions and it is OK if yours are different:

Loctite is only used in press fit joints where the press fit design tolerances were out of specification, badly machined, or the design was incorrect. Loctite is a band-aid for bad workmanship. Colnago seems to be well aware of this.

The new ceramic bearings do not take grease, Campy recommends a very light machine oil. Campy do however recommend grease between bearing cup and pressed in BB cup. This is not a press fit, it is a sliding fit, my design concern mentioned in my post above. The fit is designed allowing the bearings to move in the cups, due to the large tolerances between different frames.

I don't believe I have an accident in the waiting, but I sure know that I won't be doing around 10,000 miles a year for 15 years without any maintenance as experienced on my 2000 Record BB in my C40. This one will need a whole lot of maintenance including cup replacement in comparison.

With respect, this new design comes from a new generation of college Engineers, who do not have a lot of practical experience in the field, especially when it comes to sound automotive principles. One thing I give them credit for, is they did design for an assembly saving every gram possible, but reliability was not the first objective. They also allowed for a wide tolerance range on the BB, probably due to the new wave of Asian manufacturers.

Last edited by ColnagoC40; 02-06-15 at 10:56 AM.