View Single Post
Old 02-08-15, 02:53 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Public transit is a hard sell for people who have other options. It is a fact that majority of bus users here in the suburbs do so because of financial reasons, they simply can't afford a car or they own a car but are trying to save money on gas and maintenance so they take a bus.
I think that might vary considerably with location. When I'm in the Sacramento area, which happens quite a bit, I stay in a suburb and often ride the bus into the city. My fellow passengers from this upper middle-class suburb all have plenty of disposable income, but still fill the buses. There is quite a bit of social interaction among the regulars, so it sure looks like part of the attraction is along the lines of entertainment.

While one can never truly know what is motivating other people, I suspect the folks on the bus are riding because it is convenient relative to driving (and parking) and because it fits with their sense of themselves as responsible environmentally inclined citizens.

Back up in Eugene, it's a totally different situation. There are almost no people on the bus who have other options. Interestingly, the incomes and education levels here are a lot lower than where people with upper middle-class incomes choose to ride the bus.