View Single Post
Old 02-10-15, 09:07 AM
atlantis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HI ! @thenomad , I have been working on this build since some time and landed up with a lot of variations, just bear with me , i will put down the details. In the following there are some standard stuff like wheels and essentials that are pretty much the same, so I have skipped those. The main i have talked about is the groupset and controls.
Option1
10 speed tiagra compact a mix and match of road components. drop bars and dura ace downtube shifters., v brakes/ tektro levers

Option2
10 speed tiagra and all of the above but sti shifters, but then I would have to to canti brakes .

Option 3.
I have a sora 3500 fd and a rear derailleur, hence the choice towards sora.
Sora crankset double 46-34 or Sora compact
downtube shifters. 9 speed dura ace.

option4
is what I was discussing , Mtb components
Complete deore triple crankset,
a mix of slx and xt fd , rd, cassette, shifters.

In conclusion the sti combo was the about 100 dollars above the rest, and all the other options were practically similarly priced.
@c_m shooter I was not too keen for a compact 50-34 crankset , since i ride a road bike with that setup and I hardly use the 50, hence the sora 46-34 appealed to me,and yes my cassette on my road is a 12-26.
My frame size is pretty small , my road bike is a 49 with a 70mm stem and my arms are short , so my reach is not too good. When i straddled my road the drop bars seemed pretty close to my knees hence the bar end shifters did not show up as a choice.

I am planning to put some salsa cowbell 3 bars , i did not find any bars on crc or evans which were comparable.

Yeah thats the build working so far. Did think about a single speed with surly hubs but i don't know........................

Last edited by atlantis; 02-10-15 at 10:15 PM. Reason: some more info