Old 02-10-15, 11:07 AM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
a wee bit too much coin to ride on roads I've lived on my whole life.
Interestingly, there seems to be two camps on the GFNY. People who feel, as you do, that the cost is too high given their proximity to the route or people who sort of treat it the same way you to eating at a higher-end restaurant. Sure, in theory, you could prepare the same food that you're eating, but not having to do that plus the experience as a whole, makes it worth it for some folks.

You know what the scam is? The fact that he has to pay police departments to serve as crowd marshals when most of them have groups of volunteers who agree to serve as traffic marshals for events. My point is they're not actually incurring that much overtime cost.

It seems he's going after an increasingly international contingent who make it a primary U.S. event, along with the traditional NYC racing crowd. Uli definitely as a 'tude, but if that event could serve as a springboard to one day getting a domestic and/or one-day Pro Continental race in NYC, that would be beyond cool.

I think that could definitely happen at some point if the right folks got together.