View Single Post
Old 02-11-15, 07:51 AM
DirtRoadRunner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
Country bikes/adventure bikes/gravel road bikes have all but replaced CX bikes because they're better built for all round riding than CX bikes ever were.

They perform as well on fire roads as they do on city streets. They have a lower bottom bracket, compact frame geometry and improved standover height and crotch clearance.

And they have braze ons for fenders, racks and a headlight, making them useful for commuting and light touring.

The Salsa Vaya, Trek 720, Raleigh Roper and Marin Lombard are bikes that can substitute for both a road and a mountain bike. In the past you needed to buy two bikes to cover all your activities.

Now you can do it with one do it-all bike.
Definitely agree on the above - also add the Raleigh Tamland. It has nearly identical geometry to my Space Horse, which I've found perfect for mixed terrain (pavement, gravel, AND singletrack riding).

However, any of those bikes are a bit heavy for a true roadie hammerfest - but if the OP isn't going to be hammering that often, they'd be awesome for general-purpose riding.