View Single Post
Old 02-18-03, 12:02 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
">>>>>>>I had to buy a car this weekend. "<<<<<<<

I often find that people put themselves in a situation where they HAVE to buy a car. I have made it a conscious decision long ago to choose my career and home in a location where public transportation is inexpensive and abundant and a car was not necessary for survival.

USA Today reported that gas WILL go up to $2.00 a gallon by the summer so get ready to shell out more money. The days of cheap gasoline in the United States are rapidily coming to an end. Once the war starts, I predict gas will skyrocket to over $2.50 in some states. For those driving large SUV's, expect to shell out $40 - 70 dollars each time you you say "Fill it up".

2. ">>>>>That sucked. What really sucks is all the taxes and fees and license/registration that gets tacked to the price."<<<<<

Taxes, fees and registration are the inexpensive costs of car ownership. Auto insurance where I live (New Jersey) is going through the roof as the motorist is being blead to death to pay for uninsured and careless drivers. Skyrocketing parking tickets in New York City and other states are being handed out for minor infractions since cities across the nation are facing major shortfalls in revenues. Furthermore, if you purchased a used car, within two and a half years auto repairs and oil changes will probably equal a year of auto insurance.

You will need to set aside money each week in your budget for repairs and oil changes. If you don't do this, when that large repair bill comes by, you'll end up using Visa/Mastercard to pay the bill thus increasing your auto expenses with compound interest.

All of this money that could have gone into your retirement account now must pay for a vehicle what will spend 95% of it's time parked.

You have my condolences.