View Single Post
Old 11-06-05, 12:08 AM
abeyance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why did you "get fixed"

When I was in college about six years ago, i rode my gary fisher mountain bike to parties. Inevitably, some drunk frat boy would ask if he could ride it. I usually relented, but on many occasions it would result in a pinch flat or a broken spoke. I wanted a bike that most people can't ride.
I had read about track bikes somewhere and decided I wanted one. I went to a local bike shop in my hometown in Maryland and asked if they had any. they happened to have a 56cm viner from the 70's with a bent handlebar (standard steel track drop). I guess someone had a really bad fall and decided track bikes weren't for them.I rode it around the block, forgot about the nonfreewheeling nature, and promply got thrown from the saddle. I regained control and decided the bike was for me. $250 later it was mine, plus another $120 for a clincher wheelset.
I started riding it to parties. When someone asked me to ride it, I would say "Sure, but it doesn't have any brakes and you can't stop pedalling" I don't think people grasped this concept when they were inebriated. I got an severe case of schiendfreud ( german for "happiness at the misfortune of others". leave it to the germans to have a word for that) when I would see someone bust their ass or ride into a parked car or curb. I even say an old black guy steal it and when he tried to ride away, he clipped his pedal going around a curve. I walked up to him as he was laying on the ground bleeding, took the bike, and said " You dumb prick, you got what you deserved".
I had the only track bike in my college, and it commanded respect. Even the bmx'ers gave me props when i took it to their track ( no jumps, just rolled with it). One asked me if he could give it a try. He rode it through the track and said "dude, you're nuts for riding this thing".
Track bikes are for me. A true 1 percenter I am.

Why did you "get fixed"?