Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by Brenthurst
Ok thanks
Here is the direct link:

ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf...state_mapS.pdf

Click on the segment numbers for detailed maps.

I did it a few years ago. I highly recommend starting in Pittsburgh, riding the entire GAP to Cumberland, MD and then heading north, primarily via U.S. 220, to Bedford, PA to pick up Route S again. (Route S joins the GAP south of PGH but then leaves it at Rockwood, PA.)

I also highly recommend taking a detour at Breezewood, PA to ride the abandoned section of the PA Turnpike, which is an unofficial bike trail. Not only is a neat ride, it saves you a big climb out of Breezewood. From the end of the abandoned PA Turnpike section it is very easy to get back on Route S.

Finally, I have a recommended detour in Lancaster County that avoids the stretch of PA 23 that Route S uses west of Morgantown, PA. Much quieter, safer and prettier.

Let me know if you would like the details re: any of the above.

BTW...There are camping options either on or close to the route, including in Bedford. I went more significantly off route to get to French Creek S.P. on the eastern end of route, but other than that I did not have to venture more than a few miles off route to get to campgrounds. There are also two state parks that are right on the route: Cowan's Gap and Caledonia. The former is particularly nice, but you have to carry food a long way since there is nothing around.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-22-15 at 06:51 AM.