View Single Post
Old 11-06-05, 05:32 PM
willtsmith_nwi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walkafire
WOW this is good to know, I was very close in ordering the Answer Kashmir SPD boots.
I wound up ordering the LAKE 301's winter boot... write ups say they have a bigger toe box, I will find out Wednesday!

I have Answer Palisade Shoes that are plenty wide and long
Well let me revise my statement. The soul of the shoe is certainly narrow. But my foot fits in it OK. It's just kinda "too long".

If this was hiking boot it would be totally unacceptable. But this is not as important as cycling.

I mounted my egg-beater cleats to the Kashmirs today and gave them a try. Installation was VERY smooth and the shims I used under the cleats have completely masked the SPD slots. I'm hoping this will form an effective seal.

My current shoes are a Sette Enduro with an Egg Beater Mallet-C (http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/134...t-C-Pedals.htm). I had to do quite a bit of hacking on the Sette Enduro soul to get them to clip in and out of the Mallets. The Kashmirs went in and out of the Mallets just fine with no trimming required.

The other issue for me was the size of the ankle area. It's too big. I wear a 12.5W-13 US and bought a size 48 (which in Answer is a 13.5 US). The Shoes are too long and it causes the ankle to pull up during walking (and obviously cycling). But I compensated with thick socks (which is to be expected) and a pair of neoprene ankle supports. This did the trick and the shoes work great.

What I have read in other places were that the Lake MXZ300s were pretty narrow. I am interested in knowing if the MXZ301 is a wider shoe than the MXZ300 and Answer Kashmir. It's still not too late to send my Answer Kashmirs back ;-)