View Single Post
Old 11-06-05, 08:16 PM
auk
Coasting makes you grumpy

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp; Habanero Ti-Team; Slingshot Road; 1962 converted Raliegh fixer aka: The Beast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixie Cross part Deux

Yes, the saga continues, or maybe the ill judgment, who's to say.

Second weekend of racing cyclocross on a fixed. (IRO Jamie Roy w/cross fork)

This week was at the Major Taylor Velodrome. Start and finish was on the track (1-1/2 lap start, 1/2 lap finish). This, as I thought it would made a huge bonus to the event in terms of class. For those who don't know the place, there is a significant apron on the infield, almost the width of the track surface itself.

Windy and wet conditions made the grass sections and the two uphill sections pretty interesting and made me wish for a bit smaller gear, as I kept it the same as last week. The grass just sucked the soul right out of your legs. Barrier crossings were much improved, as I didn't feel like a snake trying to jump rope.

Comment of the day as I rolled out of the drome to go to the car and past a group of onlookers, "that boy just ain't right".

As to the results, last week was 27th overall and 5th in beginners. This week was 13th overall, and 9th in 4/5 class, as there were some master' s riders in our group. Improvement, and the next is in two weeks at the same location. I'll be there, with smaller gear in hand.