View Single Post
Old 05-02-15, 03:46 PM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I was just starting to ride lots in the 1970's (when all frames were steel). Bent forks were common. All (good) shops were experienced in realigning forks and frames. It wasn't a problem then, it shouldn't be now, especially if this is a cheaper/lower quality steel that's softer than the highest grade tubing. Can you find a mechanic or shop owner in his 60's? He'd probably know all about how to do it, be finished in less than five minutes and probably wouldn't charge too much. And since he/they could, and did do it all the time, you can also. Clamp the steerer tube firmly in place (the last time I saw this done - about five years ago, the shop had a special clamp/tool for that) and bend the fork blade. I don't remember if he just used his hands and yanked or if he used something for leverage. I have no idea as to whether this could be done with the fork in the frame - would that much bending force damage the headset? - or if the fork needs to be removed from the frame.

I notice you're in Long Beach. I'd think the LA area ought to have an "old" bike shop somewhere. Ask around until you find it, unless you try yourself. The thing I remember is that the fork needs to be clamped in place very thoroughly because of the amount of bending force you will put into it. I also remember from when I watched him do it a few years ago that he really had to bend the fork waaaayyyy beyond what you'd expect. On my fork it was only a quarter or half inch out, like yours, and if I remember right he was bending the blade and inch or two or three to reset it. I (I don't really remember how much or far any more, I just remember I was rather surprised at how far out of line he was bending it to get it to move. He was putting his whole body into it.)

Last edited by tcarl; 05-02-15 at 03:53 PM.