View Single Post
Old 05-04-15, 03:17 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by SpecialX
Love the miles and speed achievement.
Great numbers, good looking bike.. But $3,500+ is what you pay.. Not necessarily a bad thing, goes to show that you get what you pay for.
The only thing I really don't like is that battery placement/connector.. I bought my son a bike with that kind of setup and after a while when he would hit a small pothole or the bike would bump a lot, that battery box would jump out of the connections temporarily, so I had to rig up a bolt down system... Maybe this bike has one of those, I can't tell from the pics.

On the other side of things tho, for less than 1/2 the price, (IF you have the time and some DIY skills) you can easily beat those numbers..
Case and point: built up my "fat tire bike" and have ~60 mile range with a 20mph speed (when on "slow" mode) with no pedaling...
Of course on "medium mode" 22mph capable, I get about 55 miles and on high power mode, 26mph capable and a 50 mile range.

Bike is an OCC (electric) chopper bike ($250), changed out controller/motor to 48v (25a / 3speed mode) 1000w system ($300), changed battery to a 48v 30ah ($750) added a bunch of electronics and a big (wood) box on the back to hold everything / frame to hold up box ($300).
Total cost of $1600 for my speed/range capabilities.
And how much did you spend on the other e-bikes you built before this last one that you are so happy with? I think you need to include the learning curve cost too... Not just the end result of the build it yourself final result that I suspect most people don't/wouldn't get on their first build... To people who don't want to tinker 3,500$ can be well worth the end result... JMO