View Single Post
Old 11-07-05, 07:17 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We live in UK in the hills in very rural Devon: two miles of our commute is farm roads, the other thirteen are gritted main road or urban and even in winter, are kept clear. Problem is, our top two miles are very unclear: they can be muddy, snowed-up and as water leaches from the fields on either side, we get a lot of glass ice.
I would consider riding on MTB slicks. MTB slicks should be fine in the snow. (not ideal, but way better than anything on ice) They should hold ice a little better, because of the larger amount of contact with the ice, than tires with knobs.

If in riding carefully (and not too quickly) you can reliably get through the ice on MTB slicks, then I would recommend that. Don't be afraid to put a foot down if a tire slides.

If you really can't make it without studs, or if you feel you could be put in a position of being hit by a car without studs, then use the studs. Otherwise, I'd recommend MTB slicks.