View Single Post
Old 05-14-15, 09:30 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Dagmar
I was touring with friends this weekend and one friend was on his last patched tube when the patch failed. We had plenty glue patches, but could not get them to take. We suspect the humidity was effecting them. One of the crew finally tried a trick from his childhood and touched a lighter flame to the glue for a second or two. After an hour of failed attempts to repatch the tube using the instructions in the kit, this method worked. Our companion was able to make it home on that patched tube, 45+ miles.
Now there's an experience that I haven't had. I've never had a glueon patch failure.

In the interest of full disclosure, I always carry a spare inner tube because I prefer to patch at home rather than on the road. I follow the instructions on the patch kit box including waiting the full 5 minuted for the glue to set. The only thing that I do special is to clamp the patch after gluing it on.