Old 06-04-15, 05:52 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Why would I be jealous? I sustained more than a decade of living without owning a motor vehicle, with an estimate of around 90% of my modal trips by bicycles. I survived very well without the need for extensive infrastucture. The one single advancement that is needed in Australia that exists in some parts of Europe is making drivers accountable for every accident they have that involves a cyclist. We would then obviate the perceived need for separated facilities.

And how can I be jealous when the company involved in this listing hasn't or won't make the entire list publicly available? For all I know, Melbourne might be right outside the top 20. Hobart where I live now has a population far less than the 600,000 threshold.

And I wouldn't laugh too loudly if I were you. Seville has slipped from fourth to 10th on this year's listings? That's a pretty big decline for a city that has been promoted on this forum as being a fantastic model of 15% modal share for bicycles (which still pales in comparison to the top 2 contenders).
You're right about Seville. We dropped in the listing (but at least we're still amongst the top cities--eat your heart out!) despite the fact that the party in power here at both the local and national levels is doing everything in its power to stop the cycling boom. At the behest of the petroleum, automobile and insurance lobbies, they're looking at a certain country in the Southern Hemisphere, known for its mandatory helmet laws, disdain for protected cycleways, and widespread antipathy to cyclists, for ideas.

I certainly hope they don't get their way, as cycling Down Under is no picnic, from what I've read.

Sydney cycling: Australia?s biggest city ?world?s worst place for riders?

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/tra...s/s4045873.htm

Last edited by Ekdog; 06-04-15 at 05:58 AM.