Old 06-30-15, 01:36 PM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I would look at other electrolytes, such as potassium and magnesium.
This is exactly what I am doing now. I carry a 2l camelback with me on rides. This used to contain just H2O. I have already started adding salt and sugar to the mix, and am now thinking about adding other minerals (such as the ones you have mentioned here). I just need to find out how much, if at all.

Regarding these minerals: There is an alkali supplement out here called Basenmischung. I have been taking the tablets on occasion to fight cramping and muscle pain after hard anaerobic exercises, and I have found that it works well. Now I am thinking about adding this to my water. It is similar to this product (english version).

Originally Posted by unterhausen
...salt can stress the system by promoting high blood pressure simply through absorbing more water into the bloodstream. It should be approached with caution
I have also noticed this. On Sunday night I may have overdone the salt by a bit. I felt my blood pressure rise to a somewhat uncomfortable level. There is definitely a balance to achieve!

I am 35 btw. I ride to and from work 3 times a week (6 * 21km per week). But the 21km stretches are not cutting it for me. I really want to do some distance rides. Hence the efforts to remedy my situation!