View Single Post
Old 02-26-03, 03:06 PM
Mick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply D*Alex & your views.

Essentially I'm looking for information on how to winterise the bicycle, as I get the impression most people apart from the clinically insane (sums me up well) only go out for a few hours or a day before bringing the bicycle back into a walmer environment.

I like to be quintesentially English......... in other world CONTRARY.

This time of the year? You must be nuts!

My psychiatrist would agree with you there

I doubt if anybody is biking up in that area at this time.

Great, just the place that I want to be, away from the crowds

Conditions...........

I am monitoring the temperatures & have a friend who is clearing/ploughing a section of the Trans Lab Hwy (Churchill Falls area), & know the conditions that I will face. I have also walked the road from Bea Comeau through Lab City to Schefeville & onto the tundra ( in Oct) before continuing to North West River, some might say I know the area well. People predicted catastrophy then..... why I'm not so sure.

If you are foolhardy enough .......

I have purchased studded tyres & have clothing, with a layering principle down to -65 !!!!!! (but anything around -35 to -40 will be my cut off temperature)

You are going into a region where the winter weather is much more severe than anything you know from England.

This is true & alot of emphasis on the SEVERE, however it is akin to winters in Norway, where I have operated from during the winter months. Walking, Skiing in the mountains for a couple of weeks at a time. I have experianced cold (dry) ... & not so dry, before.

A couple of years ago a Japanese lad traversed the Trans Lab Highway in Feb. The locals stated it was a little cold that week - 50's. So its possible, just a case of a little Endurance, which he had in abumdance according to the folk who met him.

Drop me a mail address & I'll send you a card from HV/GB, telling you how its going........ asuming I made it from Blanc Sabon to Cartwright !